Local family encourages bone marrow transplant registry entries after donor falls


By Isabel Vander Stoep / [email protected]

There is good news and there is bad news.

The good news is that Tess Lund, a woman raised in Chehalis who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia last summer, went into remission in October after successful drug treatment.

The bad news is that she needs a bone marrow transplant and her original match recently failed.

“She was matched with a donor in Europe and was ready for the transplant, then that donor was taken off the registry,” Tess’ mother Stacey Cummings said. “They’re going back to the starting board. They have to go back to the books and try to find a new donor.

Her remission – thanks to the current medication, which is an intravenous medication that she has to administer once a day – means that she is physically ready to receive the transplant, which will take around 100 days of recovery.

As a patient of the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Lund receives high quality treatment near his home. But it also means that she must be away from her husband and her baby. She and her husband Nick Lund, who also grew up in Chehalis, were stationed in Fort Riley, Kansas for Nick’s job as an Army Ranger.

Luckily, there is a way for anyone between the ages of 18 and 40 to help: get tested and sign up for “Be The Match,” a registry that matches bone marrow donors with patients whose lifetimes. can be saved by the transplant procedure.

According to Lund’s sister, Josie Cummings, 80% of bone marrow donation is akin to plasma donation, and the remaining 20% ​​requires an hour-long surgery with a few days of recovery. Only around 430 registrants are called upon to donate, and the organization strives to make donation as easy as possible by covering the cost of meals, accommodation, travel, childcare, and childcare. pet care for the donor.

“We’re trying to have it this spring, because in April or May they’re moving to North Carolina,” Stacey Cummings said. “Praying for her and getting on the registry is all we can do for her right now. “

For more information or to register, visit BeTheMatch.org or text “gettessted” to 61474.

Donating blood could also help patients with leukemia. To do this, visit schedule.bloodworksnw.org.


Comments are closed.